Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Storms of Life...

~My Uncle Todd (my Dad's brother) and my Dad~

The following are lyrics for a song by 'Casting Crowns'. I have found this song running through my head throughout this whole journey with my Uncle Todd's health.

I was sure by now,God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth

Chorus

It always seems easier to say, "Lord I will praise you even in the tough times", when the tough times have not yet arrived. But to truly praise Him when your world is upside down, is having complete faith in His provision and plan. Though I do not understand why my uncle was diagnosed with an extremely rare form of cancer and why after only a few weeks, the doctors have given him 24 hrs, but I do know God is cradling my uncles tired and weak body in His strong and loving arms.
When I went to visit him Sunday in the hospital as I held his hand, I prayed and begged for him to wake up, just so I could look into his eyes one last time and tell him I loved him one last time. I didn't know if he could hear me, but whispered in his ear anyways, "I love you Uncle Todd, I love you so much! You are such an amazing person and Uncle to me. I love you."
I know God is there and He is taking my Uncle home to be with him to give him a new body free of cancer. The hardest part is letting go...but I can picture God holding out his hand, saying, "come home with me Todd."
Just because the Lord does not answer our prayers with the result that we want, does not mean that He doesn't hear us. This chorus comforts my soul at this time and reminds me that the Lord remains the same no matter where I am in my life:

And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

Please pray for my Dad and his family. Todd is his younger brother and as a big brother, my Dad feels like he should be able to protect him. This has been extremely hard on him, especially living 5 hours away and only being able to see him every few days. Thank you so much!!!

3 comments:

*FARMERS* said...

That song has comforted me during some hard times also. I will definatley be praying for you & your dad. I feel like in times like these words are not sufficient only prayers & faith. Love you girly! :)

Lindsi said...

Thank you so much for the prayers Leslie. It's so comforting! My Uncle is no longer in pain. He is dancing up in heaven cancer free! Though seeing him take his last breath was one of the hardest things I have ever been through, being able to spend those last few hours with him before he passed away were so special! Being able to say good bye was truly a gift! Thank you for the prayers and love! You have such a big heart!!! Love you too!

Miles and Jenny said...

Goodness that song has touched so many people. The Lord gave that song to me as well the moment after I hung up with my dad telling me he had cancer 4 years ago. I have been and will continue to pray for you and your family during this time. I love the part in that song that says "I am with you". Through it all we can lean on HIM knowing He is good even when it doesnt feel good...we trust and know that He is! Also I love what you said about what you can say to your Uncle....not goodbye..but "see you later". Thank you for that. It made me cry. Because it is so true. You know, I have been wanting to know waht to say to my dad this Christmas when leave India and I go home for a few days. I was afraid it was going to be goodbye as it might be the last time i see him. But you are so right. Praise the Lord, i can say "see you later". Lifting up you and yours during this difficult time. I am in the same battle and you have encouraged my heart. Thank you!